Tuesday, November 5, 2013

I'm very excited. Cold Call Success!

So I read recently a rich dad poor dad book called, "Rich dad's prophecy", which covers the coming collapse of the stock market and subsequent destruction of 401k values.  In it he discusses that real wealth comes from businesses and investments and not self employment (i.e. small business owner where if the owner isn't there working then no money is coming in) and not employee (i.e. going to a 9-5 job with "great" "secure" benefits, which in my opinion serve more to tie an employee to fear and scarcity mentality and don't offer the truth...freedom)  One thing he mentions is that of course you have to start somewhere.  He says that while one is a 9-5er or a self employed person, that they ought to wok on, not in, a business 5-10 hours a week on the side.  I said to myself that I could do that.  My first week after finishing the book I did maybe two hours.  Then the second week I got sidetracked with video games and errands, i.e. doodads but that dont cost money, but my time.  Yesterday though, after heading to bed nice and early from being tired sunday from feeding sunday morning, I had a good amount of energy. 
 
My buddy at dinner saturday night said that I ought not to ask, "Is this something that would interest you?" when making my pitch.  Come to find out that was exactly what my pitch had in it.  So I called him up and asked his input to help me change it, which he and I did.  Then it was onto calling.  I called five people.  First one was a guy saying he worked for a management company and didn't need any help building his pipeline of customers.  BTW my business idea is to list a business online to get more exposure, but several times a day so that they don't fall to the back of the search results.  The next 3 i believe were voicemail customers.  Those were interesting cause these people don't know me from Adam.  So I decided to be fun, bold, and "don't really care if you call me back, i.e. not desperate" with those messages.  That was something I picked up on in the book I also finished reading called "winning through intimidation".  Rich people have natural staying power cause they give a rip if a deal goes through or not cause they're already rich and so if someone doesn't bow to their wishes, they just walk, which is a natural intimidation technique that is logical.  Typically people are desperate and so this scares them and they don't want to lose the deal (scarcity mentality) and will jump on the offer or become the intimidatee.
 
The fifth call was fun.  I recorded it on my camera actually and I'll be posting it to youtube I think.  Maybe doing a channel for my business experiences.  I've got half a page of things I've learned or experienced that I'll either be writing about or doing a video of.  What was interesting about the experience and recording it is that the guy said the business owner wasn't available.  I just did my little hook pitch anyways and he said that it was interesting...so I was talking to the business owner anyways.  I did the pitch, he asked some questions, and then I threw out the price, of course after highlighting all the benefits of my service, and he said, "Huh, that's not too bad."  Mentally I was shocked/psyched out of my mind, but on camera I was just thinking of what to say next.  It was an awesome win for me.  He threw up one objection and I countered it with basically just reiterating my pitch and then transitioned to emailing him the questionaire I need to write up the ad for him.  I hung up and you could just see my face light up and I was so excited.  It was hilarious and I think I'm hooked to just working on my own ish from here on out. 
 

Ashlee was excited for me too.  She watched the video and said she felt like there was a lot of lying on my part, which I had to explain further.  What is interesting about the "lying" is that the business owner "lied" to me from the start, but...was it really lying?  I think the winning through intimidation book had it right when it said honesty is a relative thing.  Pretty cool stuff.

No comments:

Post a Comment