Wednesday, November 27, 2013

Things I've learned from others in business and some about myself and business

At the beginning of the year I wrote down the goal that I wanted to make 50k.  Currently I'm at around 42k-45k depending on whether you include health savings account money and 401k stuff that I'm foregoing.  What I decided to do at the first of the year was get a second job to bridge the gap and hopefully meet my goal.  The second job jerked me around a little bit and so I ended up quiting after just a couple months.  Part of the reason I quit was because I wanted to dedicate some time to learning new skills, specifically coding for computers and building apps.  I figured that if I could increase my skills, thank you Jim Roan, I could command a higher paying position within my company or perhaps elsewhere.
 
After some introspection and advice I came to realize that if I were to work to get a higher paying job that I'd still be at another job and not earning the type of money I want to earn and know I can earn.  With that in mind I was left with starting a business.  One thing I did to bridge the gap on linkedin.com was to increase my skills/marketability by building a course on udemy.com.  See/sign up for it here if you'd like.  https://www.udemy.com/easy-self-reliance-and-barter-skills/ 
 
After I came to that realization my brother chipped in and gave me a bunch of course material to earn1k.  See/sign up here if you're interested.  http://earn1k.com/  As seen in the Wall Street Journal...
 
One concept that I picked up from this guy and one other, Tim Ferris, is that one ought to validate their ideas before the jump into any business venture.  I hadn't done that with the course I built and...it is just sitting there, which I'm actually ok with cause it was something I was working on to increase my marketability for getting another position here or elsewhere, but hadn't actually tried to validate and upon further research doesn't appear the format that I went about doing it was ideal.  Lesson learned.
 
One thing I did/do like about informational products is that they're quite a bit of work to get started/built initially, again AFTER it is validated, but once done they hopefully sell themselves and can convert into a constant cashflow stream for my family. 
 
I started doing some thinking about all the ideas I had.  For starters they were in a million places.  
 
 On my flash drive.  On my laptop.  On my ipod note thing.  I've since consolidated all my ideas and need to set aside a time to go through them all.  One thing I want to do is go through the earn 1k material and come up with more ideas.
 
At this time my wife likes doing crafts.  She has submitted a couple ideas to a site that does flash sales where they sell items at a discount to their email list.  Her first two ideas didn't get accepted.  The third one did however about a month or so ago.  They ran her product, see here https://www.etsy.com/listing/165274395/the-world-is-your-playground-24-x-36?ref=af_shop_order, and she almost sold out of everything.  97 of 100 items sold.  She also ended up selling one more on the previous link and she sold another one to a friend of ours last night for 99 out of 100. 
 
One thing I love about her product/business is that it also jives with one of Tim Ferris' main rules, a simple FAQ.  He advises against any business that can't easily answer any customer issues with a simple one page FAQ.  Reason being is that anything more complex than that will need a bajillion customer service reps (more overhead) to answer the endless list of questions.  More questions = more problems, complaints, returns, and less repeat business.
 
I also love that she again did the work once, the product sells itself, and she is rolling in dough.  I think I may advise her to try and figure out how to automate the process for the next round.  That way it is all money coming in, but she doesn't have to do any of the legwork for getting the product out the door once it is sold.  Maybe we could hire out her sisters or something to do it.
 
With her experience I realize that really I don't want to be involved in service based businesses myself.  Now it isn't the worst thing ever and maybe I'd be more willing to do it once the product based business was covering my expenses and I'd finished traveling/seeing/doing everything I want to do and am back at home.  Larry Ellison is a billionaire who mascarades his business around as a product when in fact it is both a product and a service.  Once product is bought he has his team go in and install this and do that and and and...a service side to his product business.
 
One thing I learned or realized or finally had sink in is that if I, or my employees aren't working on the service we provide, then we aren't getting paid, whereas a product just ships out and I'd get paid.  With that in mind I've already started nixing business ideas that aren't product based or that can be automated/outsourced easily and cheaply.
 
Another concept I've come across is vanity metrics.  It was actually recommended to me to read the book, but after hearing the brief synopsis I'm not sure I need to read it.  Basically it is just calling out "busy work" and measuring things that have nothing to do with earning more money or improving anything.  I think this concept could be applied to not just businesses already up and running, but those that are building a product.  One may say, "hey in your barter course you need to cover this and that."  "Ok!  Cool!  I will do that."  Problem is these things may not have been validated in the first place to be valid and one would feel like they're accomplishing things when in fact they're just doing busy work and feeling good about themselves and something that is no good in the first place. 
 
Remit talks about this in his earn 1k course.  He says to NOT throw a bunch of things against the wall and see what sticks.  Building up a bunch of twitter followers for the local garbage business doesn't really matter.  Why?  Cause we already know what they're doing.  Really I think people just want to know how much it is going to cost to pick up their garbage and the times they're coming and then that it gets done.  I would say maybe people would be interested to see what crazy things the garbage man finds in the trash, but is that going to help them get more customers.  Not so sure. 
 
One idea I had was to help list businesses on the local classified site, everyday, three times a day to avoid it falling to the back of the search results.  I did vanity calling right at the very beginning.  I was calling, to look busy and feel good about myself, when I hadn't even done scripting of general questions/responses, and I quickly realized I wasn't helping myself.  Once corrected I was able to validate things much quicker and move on from the idea.
 
My mom is turning into a mogul herself in her spare time.  She's joined a company that is earning her 2-300 a month on the side each month.  She reported to me that she just had her best month last month.  That is pretty dang cool.  Here is my mom, the lady who changed my diaper who knows how many times, and the diapers of my 5 other siblings, who didn't quite have the opportunity to finish schooling till after the kids were out of the house and is now working on a side business and doing well.  I advised that she figure out which of all the avenues would work best for building her business instead of keeping her busy doing things that don't add to the bottom line.  Her business is one of awareness, education, and networking with others.  I hope she's able to avoid busy vanity work and find the things that work best for her.  We'll see what happens.  Fortunately for her my dad has uber business experience and will be able to share with her what would work best and what wouldn't so she ought to be ok and do well after a while.  I'm excited to see how it goes.

No comments:

Post a Comment