Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Thought I’d give a one time rep a try

Currently I’ve been estimating my max weight via a rep calculator, found here http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html

Yesterday I decided that I wanted to try and see if I indeed could lift as much as the calculator says I could.  First up was squat.  Currently doing 205lbs 6 times equates to 238.  I put 235 on there.  With my wife watching I went down and…came back up.  And fairly easily surprisingly.  I thought it was too easy.  Then I thought that I wasn’t really too far off from trying for my goal weight for one rep, which was 250lbs.  So I put that weight on as well.  After a quick gut check I went under the bar and lifted it up with a bit more strain then the previous rep.  Then I went down slowly, made sure I touched the support bars and then…got it back up!  Bam!

I was pretty pumped and turned to my wife and said some noise or something that was legitimately sincere AND macho.  I was excited to have knocked out my goal on squat for the year. 

I then got everything set up for doing my current one rep equivalent for bench.  Got it up and came down slow and was actually able to bring it back up a couple inches, but that was it.  I set it back down on the support bars and then went home. 

All I have left to wrap up for the weight lifting goal then is to reach 225lbs on bench, or 190lbs lifted 7 times.  Last time I lifted more than just the one rep I graduated onto a higher weight.  So next time around I’ll be working on finishing 185lbs 7 times, 180 7 times, and 175 7 times.


Pretty exciting cause once I’m done with reaching those goals it’ll be time to change my routine a little bit to work on other areas of my body that I want to improve on.  I may find a way to get a pass to our local rec center as they’ll be able to accommodate my desired workout routines better than the current setup I’ve been going to at my brothers.  We shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment