Wednesday, November 13, 2013

I have app ideas, but it stresses me OUT!

I’ve got a fair amount of app ideas and if I let my mind wander I’m sure I could come up with more of them.  Apps are mini businesses.  Businesses ought to be validated before one dives into them so as to avoid investing tons of time, energy, and money into them only to see them fail.  I think if people validated their business ideas before they did them the number that you hear of, “9 out of 10 businesses fail in the first 5 years” would be a lot less.  If that was the case and the number was a lot less then I’d certainly be a lot more motivated to start a business.

So yesterday I decided to do some app validating.  At first I thought I needed to call book publishers for an idea my brother and I have and thought better of it and thought I’d just go straight to the end user to validate the idea.  Funny thing happened.  I more than validated the idea.  First app I pulled up…1-5 MILLION installs.  What is funny is…this totally stressed the hell out of me and even put a damper on the rest of my night.  Why?  Cause I thought, “How am I supposed to compete with 1 million plus download app?  I can’t ever get that many downloads and there is too much competition.”

What is crazy about that is I already KNOW that I need to validate and competition is validation.  I already know many people/businesses have become successful by taking an existing product and making it better and yet as I contemplated the competition all those thoughts went out the window.  CRAZINESS.

It wasn’t until this morning that I realized that I was being a friggin’ idiot and that I’d validated our idea and that if my desire to do the app was there I’d have some people who were willing to give it a try.  Weird how our brains selectively forget things when doing so destroys any excitement lol.

So if any of you have any business ideas and validate like crazy, on your first investigation/try no less like I did, please don’t get depressed. 

Sincerely,


Brock

No comments:

Post a Comment