Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Official weightlifting goal/update…with a Chart!

So yesterday I mentioned I was going to try going deeper into my squats with more weight.  Well…I did it!  I went up only 5 lbs though instead of my usual 10lbs cause I was worried I wouldn’t be able to finish my sets if I went deeper.  So currently I am very close to my squat goal.  Using this calculator, http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/OneRepMax.html , my one rep max is showing as 240lbs, i.e. 200lbs X 7 reps.  I’ll try next time I lift to try and match my goal for the year of 250lbs.  Using the calculator that would be 210 lifted 7 times.  I think I could do that actually without too much trouble.  It would be the later reps/weights that might be the issue. 

So my next workout, hopefully, will consist of lifting 210 X 7, then 200 X 7, then 190 or 195 X 7.  It would vary on the weights sometimes that I go down to cause sometimes I just get lazy with not wanting to have to find the exact number of plates to put on the bar and what not.  Year to date I am 22% stronger or lifting 44 more pounds.  I’ve lifted 240lbs, which is 96% of my goal of 250lbs.

Squat
Body Weight
Untrained
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced
Elite
165
110
205
250
340
445


Bench
Body Weight
Untrained
Novice
Intermediate
Advanced
Elite
165
120
150
185
255
320


My bench goal…is a different story lol.  My year goal is to reach 225lbs on bench.  I’ve pretty well flat lined for the past week as you can see from the chart.  Although it’s been a little weird cause I didn’t lift due to Memorial day and soreness from playing volleyball with the family.  Who gets sore playing volleyball by the way?  That just makes me kinda chuckle cause when I think volleyball I think relaxing sunny day with playing in the sand AND I was less sore after running a 5k a month or so ago then when I finished playing volleyball for an hour or so this past week.  Anywayssss…enough of my woosbaginess.  Then Wednesday I was able to help my brother and sister-in-law move into their new place so I only lifted on Friday.  There caught up on my lifting for this past week.

So currently my next time doing bench will be lifting 155 X 7 reps, then 150 X 7 reps, then 145 X 7 reps. Yesterday I couldn’t quite get that done.  I think I was a rep or two short on the last two sets.  What is crazy to me is looking back to my excel spreadsheet and just January of this year I could only bench 135 X 3.  That is it!  I remember doing it too and about passing out.  Anywho just crazy to me.  Glad to be stronger that is for sure.  Year to date I am 27% stronger on bench, or am lifting 39 more pounds.  I’ve lifted 186lbs, which is 83% of my goal of 225 lbs.

Just for the uninitiated/curious/people who think I might be obsessed/total dooshbag as to why I’m tracking everything so meticulously.  At the first of the year I would go in and work out and just throw weight on the bars and not remember exactly what I had done the last time I lifted and that was just annoying/frustrating cause I realized I was wasting my time and didn’t really have a good baseline to go off of.  So there is that and plus tracking just makes you more disciplined.  Just try tracking your TV watching hours and you might just “ship your pants” with how much time you (I) waste watching TV.

The following is what that one rep calculator site defines for the different weight abilities.

Untrained - An individual who has not trained on the exercises before but can perform them correctly.

Novice - An individual who has trained regularly for up to several months.

Intermediate - An individual who has trained regularly for up to a couple years.

Advanced - An individual who has trained multiple years.

Elite - An athlete competing in strength sports. Keep in mind, the standards shown in the tables do not represent the highest level of strength performance possible.

UPDATE #2

I lifted yesterday and...got my squat goal done for the year!  Using the above calculator I'm squatting 252lbs.  I'm not exactly sure what my next weight will jump me too, but that is pretty cool.

My bench however actually went down.  By down I mean my second set remained the same I think with 6 reps and my third set went down from 6 reps to 5 reps.  What the freak?  I said to myself that perhaps I needed another day of recovery to get really good and rested or perhaps I need to switch around my exercises???

Currently I'll squat first and then I'll bench.  Switching would probably help as I'm sure there is some wear on the shoulders doing squat stabilizing the weights whereas if I did bench first and had even more tired shoulders/chest muscles then that doesn't really matter cause I don't really need those to stabilize the bar when I'm squatting anyways if that makes any kind of sense.

I also wonder if I've already rapidly approached the point that my brother mentioned happened to his more experienced weight lifting buddy/friend who hit a plateau on his bench.  He then worked on his shoulders to strengthen them and once done his bench started shooting up again.  I'll have to see what next week's workout looks like cause when I did my first set yesterday it seemed easier than the previous exercise in the week.

Weird workout results, but whatev.

No comments:

Post a Comment