Tuesday, September 10, 2013

Movies and lunch and time spent

I went to lunch with a coworker the other day and he boasted about how he has over 800 movies stored on an external hard drive that he and his family uses to watch films.  I was not impressed. 

At 120 minutes per movie and 800 movies that is 96,000 minutes.  That is 1,600 hours, which is 66.666 days, and 2.22 months.  If I know people like I know myself all those movies would have already been watched at least once and by having them on the external hard drive again I have to imagine that saying they’ve been watched a second time isn’t too much of a stretch.  That’d be 192,000 minutes, 3,200 hours, and 133 days, and 4.44 months of movie watching.

Needless to say that is a lot of movie watching.  That is a lot of no interacting with other people.  That is a lot of time that could be spent doing other things. 

Even if it is just leisure reading for the same amount of time I believe if someone did a survey and asked which of these two things is more appropriate that there would a resounding response saying that reading that much is a better use of someone’s time, though they’re both essentially a form of escapism, and when done in moderation and not at the sacrifice of urgent and important things is ok I think.

I poised the thought to him of “Imagine if you started at 27, like me right now of filtering movies and cutting out tv watching, how different your life would be at your current ripe old age of 37.”

Just an interesting thought. 

The latest thing I’ve been able to do since cutting out tv/movies is that I’ve been able to legitimately update my resume.  Since doing so I have already gotten one offer for employment even though I didn’t even apply for the job and the pay was quite a bit lower than what I already make.  I’ve also had a recruiter contact me to see about potentially interviewing for a position as a manager at another company.


This past weekend I found out I could download the lessons from treehouse and work on my projects without even needing to have access to the internet, which is awesome if I’m going to be working on building sites for other people and need to see how it is all looking when I update things.

No comments:

Post a Comment