Monday, August 19, 2013

What happened this weekend when we turned off the tv? Homemade strawberry jam tastiness with just three ingredients!!! I shit you not!

This weekend there were a few moments when we both could’ve easily just turned on the tv and plopped down for the evening for a few hours on Saturday afternoon/evening and been perfectly content to watch a RSL game or perhaps one of my favorite shows, Psyche.  Instead I pushed through the lull of the afternoon and thought of other things I could do to with my time.  One of those things was jam.

And boy am I psyched (pun) out of my mind that I did jam! 

Over the past several weeks/month or so I’ve gone back to eating healthy with just a few cheat days.  I cheat currently with cheese, dairy, processed foods, sugar on holidays, birthdays, and one free day a month.  This way I don’t want to blow my brains out when there is a legit celebratory event going on.  I peaked out on my weight gain at 176lbs right after the binge-eating spree I had for the two-year anniversary on July 2nd.  Since then and since going back to eating healthy this morning I clocked in at 171 and touched a low of 170.5lbs.  Our scale reads in half-pound increments. 

What has sucked about my general healthy eating business is that I miss out on sweet treats, which I’m kinda obsessed with as most who know me can attest.  One of those things has been jam in general, but I’ve always been a strawberry jam kinda guy.  Unfortunately jams we’ve bought with no sugar in them at the store or the farmers market taste like crap or have crazy, unsafe ingredients in them.  The ingredients thing is a big one for me.  Unless I know the ingredient or what exactly it is for and that it is safe I don’t eat it…except when I cheat.  I quickly looked up the ingredients for a couple sugar free jams and got the following lists:

Water**, Strawberries+, Polydextrose**, Maltodextrin**, Contains Less Than 2% Of Fruit Pectin, Citric Acid, Locust Bean Gum**, Natural Flavor**, Potassium Sorbate And Sodium Benzoate (Preservatives), Sucralose (Splenda Brnda)(A Nonnutritive Sweetener)**, Calcium Chloride**, Red 40**, Blue 1**. **Ingredients Not In Regular Preserves. +Adds A Trivial Amount Of Sugar. Allergy Warning: May Contain Traces Of Milk, Eggs, Anchovies, Peanuts, Wheat And Soy.

Water**, Strawberries+, Polydextrose**, Maltodextrin**, Fruit Pectin, Locust Bean Gum**, Natural Flavor**, Citric Acid, Potassium Sorbate (Preservative), Sucralose (Non-Nutritive Sweetener)**, Calcium Chloride**, Red 40**. **Ingredients Not In Regular Jam. +Adds A Trivial Amount Of Sugar.

Apparently a “trivial amount of sugar” is still sugar free on this last list.  What the?!  That seems eff’d up to me, especially with all the diabetics out there.  Hopefully they’re reading the ingredients…sheez.

I googled homemade strawberry jam and found this recipe. 


So we made it this weekend.  Why?  Cause I can still eat alllll the sweet honey I want!  Honey is really good for you in case you're wondering.

Six cups by the way is six pounds as far as it pertains to which packages and how many you should buy of strawberries were you to make this recipe.

So how did it turn out/look?  It looked exactly like the link (I would’ve included our own pics except I didn’t think to take any…duh). 

Our blender worked just fine for pureeing the strawberries so no you don’t need to go out and buy some fancy food processor just to make this recipe.

I bought 12lbs of strawberries, or 6 2lb packages, as I wasn’t sure before how much 6 cups of pureed strawberries would be needed weight wise.  Because of this we essentially doubled the recipe, which made 8 pints* of jam so this recipe would make you 4 pints of jam. 

We cut off the stems, pureed them, mixed the honey in and did the required boiling time, then mixed in the lemon juice and stored overnight.  We bought these jars to store them in. 


So here is the breakdown of our cost.

1 jar = $1.25 after tax

1 lemon is interestingly enough almost exactly ¼ cup of juice and I think lemons are like $.50 per one.

I think 1 cup of honey is 1 lb and the honey we buy is like $18 for a 5lb pail of it.  So for each pint of jam the cost was $2.70 for the honey. ($18/5 lbs = $3.60 lb. $3.60/lb X 6 lbs = $21.60.  $21.60/8 pints = $2.70 per pint)

The strawberries I bought were on sale for $5 for 6lbs.  So the breakdown to that on a per jar basis was $.62.

So per pint the cost of ingredients would be like $5.08 a pint. 

What is nice about that from our perspective as repeat offenders for remaking jam later is that our cost will go down to just $3.83 per pint.

Considering that the ingredients are very easy to recognize and very very very VERY tasty this was a home run thing for me and the wife.  We’ve got 7 jars on jam in the freezer to handle all our jam needs for the foreseeable future. 

What I think I loved about this experience is 1) spending time with the wife 2) finding a kick-a tasty/safe/super easy recipe to make later with my wife and kids forever more and 3) being able to use this as a real consumable needed skill in the coming collapse.


*1 pint = 16 ounces in case you wanted to price comparison shop…to me price doesn’t compute when it comes to true safety and quality

No comments:

Post a Comment