Tuesday, May 21, 2013

Strength


            This year I said I wanted to get stronger.  I made New Year Resolutions to lift 250 lbs on squat and 225lbs on bench.  I want to do this for self confidence and for the coming collapse and being able to shoulder the load of potential manual labor that I’d be faced with with gardening and chickens and defending my family and myself against potential crazies.
            On January 5th of this year I lifted 196lbs on squat using one rep equivalent calculators and 147lbs on bench.  Yesterday, May 20th, I lifted 210 lbs on squat and 180lbs on bench.  Ytd (year to date) I’m 84% of my squat goal and 80% of my bench goal.  I’m up 14 lbs or 7% on squat.  I’m up 33 lbs or 22% on bench.
            That’s pretty good I think.  Often people can’t quantify things in their personal life aside from perhaps their finances.  I feel good so far about the progress and saying I’m overall 14.5% stronger than when I woke up on the first of this year.  What is weird is that I don’t actually feel stronger or look much different, but when I see that I’m putting on bigger plates I guess it kinda sinks in that it is happening. 
I currently work out at my brother’s place and he has started working out too this year and is doing very well too.  It’s been useful to get tips from him and just know that he is working out cause I don’t want to get too far behind him lol.  He and I also made a bet that if I don’t work out twice a week I owe him $10 I think.  If you want motivation to work out…make someone a bet.  A buddy of mine did the same thing with his dad.  His bet is that if he doesn’t finish the Insanity program that you see all the infomercials on all the time then he owes his dad 18 holes at Thanksgiving Point’s Golf course, which is like $100 I think.  If he does complete Insanity then his dad owes him the round of golf.
            Anywho just wanted to do a post about this.

2 comments:

  1. I love this post and the one on rescuing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. I enjoyed writing them and doing the introspection on the rescuing one.

      Delete