Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Coding


So I’m looking to make an upgrade to my career.  I listened to a book on tape from Jim Rohnee-roner-sonz and he talks about “If you work on your job, you’ll make a living.  If you work on yourself, you’ll make a foooortune.”  Essentially for the uninitiated this means get skills else you’re never getting paid more.  Makes sense.  Why would anyone pay you more for doing the same thing when you haven’t learned or done anything to make things better for yourself or them?  Duh.  Common Sense.
            My older brother and I converse often.  At one point he mentioned, in response to boredom on my end I presume, looking into learning coding on codeacademy.com.  I promptly jumped on and wasn’t too impressed.  Then I did a little more a couple weeks later and actually liked it pretty good.  Now I’m in the nitty gritty of learning methods, do-while loops, dot notation, and a whole bunch of other stuff that makes computers function and your websites load right up.  That is me now.
            That wasn’t always me.  When I first started I realized that technology is constantly changing and growing and so I wanted to know what the future is so I wasn’t wasting time on a dead or dying language that would soon become obsolete, focus/specialize on that, and make a bajillion dollars doing it through code academy, books, and schooling.  When I started looking into the different languages though and tried to figure out which one would be best my answer was…all of them.  Kindof.
            What I have learned is that there are some pretty good basic building blocks of coding and then things kinda branch out from there.  HTML, CSS, and Javascript.  Right now I’m on Javascript and then I think code year on code academy has you learn html next and then css.
            Before I learned this though…gahhhhh!  I wanted to gouge my eyes out after staring through them for hours trying to figure out the future and all the technologies and languages and how it all tied in to the best paying job and how I should get there.  I looked up questions like, “When do you know enough to list a language on your resume?” and things like that.  I want to know this cause people search extensively using keywords and if you don’t have the right ones on there you never get tapped for what they’re looking for and what you want to do.  Still not sure when to put it on there, but I think I’ll throw them on the ‘ol rez once I get finished with code year.
            I also looked up pros and cons to learning coding.  Surprisingly there are a lot more voices out there discouraging, rather than encouraging coding from what I could tell.  A lot of that even came from people who already code too, which is weird, but whatever.  I love the following quote though:

            Yishan Wong
CEO, Reddit
One hundred years ago, people were faced with the choice of learning to read or remaining illiterate laborers who would be left behind as have-nots in a rapidly modernizing world. In the coming century, being able to command a world that will be thoroughly computerized will set apart those who can live successfully in the future from those who will be utterly left behind.

This and many other great quotes can be found about coding here http://www.code.org/quotes

So currently I’m a complete noob at coding and have dreams of moving on and doing something more constructive with my time and effort then granting credit to a bunch of crappy companies that are going to go down the crapper when the dollar gets destroyed here in the next few years like I’m currently doing at my current job.
What I’d like to do is work on projects that are longer-ish.  Unique ones that kinda are all the same, but different enough that it stretches me and challenges me and aren’t repetitive like my current tasks are at my current job.  I’d loooove to build some apps that just went viral and made me passive income too.  I have a buddy who has a few simple apps built, that I’ve previewed and look real simple, that make him 400 bones a year.


So ya.  I’m coding.  I’m learning.  I’m going to keep going until I find something different that I should be doing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment