Monday, October 1, 2018

Scrum Success


Today I interviewed for a scrum position as a product owner for a local tech company.  It was a really good conversation with a sharp lady and the company is doing really good work and will be around for a while based on what I was hearing and how they’re continually adapting and solving client’s needs.  Needless to say I’m interested in the position if they feel the same way about me performing the work.

In most of my interviews I like to ask two questions typically.  First is to the hiring manager and is, “Where do you see yourself in 5 years?”  I like to ask this question cause I want to see how much buy in the manager has in their role there at the company, the company in general, and how I see myself working with them or not depending on where they see themselves in 5 years.

The next question I like to ask is something along the lines of, “Now that I have a general idea of what the job entails what I’m curious to find out is what it takes to really excel at this job.  I’m not interested in just doing the minimum, but really doing well.”  I do this cause it shows that you’re thinking ahead, want to shine, and isn’t a question that interviewers get asked a lot in my opinion so it helps me stand out. 

This person’s response to my second question was that I need to have the ability to influence without being a jerk or manipulative. Second she said that you really need to dig in and gain people’s trust by knowing what you’re talking about and just show that you care.  While there will always be new ways of doing things in scrum and other frameworks for completing projects this is something that will always be there, i.e. be nice to people, communicate, and follow through on your commitments.  I that, per the official scrum guide, that, “The Scrum framework consists of Scrum Teams and their associated roles, events, artifacts, and rules. Each component within the framework serves a specific purpose and is essential to Scrum’s success and usage” is important, but if you focus on what my interviewing person said you’ll be successful at anything you do. 

No comments:

Post a Comment