Friday, November 25, 2011

Briefly explain how the MBA degree would assist you in your short- and long-term career goals.

This post and the two after are for posterity sake really is all.

As fast as information is promulgating in the world, you cannot know all the answers. As our country becomes more service oriented it is imperative that those in management positions know how to best serve the internal and external customers. A leader best serves their constituencies not by knowing everything but knowing which questions to ask in order to get the correct answers. This applies to both short-term and long-term questions. The ability to drill down to the fundamental issues and ask the right questions is what I hope my MBA education will afford me.


Since getting my undergrad, I’ve been exposed to workplace dynamics and politics. I have seen how those who are qualified will often get passed up for positions or responsibilities because they don’t have the proper letters after their name. I don’t want my lack of education and training to be part of the equation for myself. Receiving an MBA will allow me to get to the table so that I might be able to help my bosses, associates, and stakeholders with my expertise, critical thinking skills, and knowledge.

Going back to school will give me the chance to learn the intricacies of how things should interact with each other in a business setting. This understanding is necessary in managing the course corrections needed to get a business to run efficiently. These skills and understandings are as applicable to running a Fortune 200 company as an entrepreneurial venture. The case studies and coursework of an MBA will help prepare me for the dynamics of business, whether directing a third party logistics company, a laser manufacturer, or a blue jean zipper supplier.

Long term the MBA will help me be a proactive leader rather than being a reactive manager to the dynamic changes that are a trademark of our global economy. A MBA will help me know what needs to be done versus relying on others telling me what needs to be accomplished. Bosses want someone who says, “THIS is what needs to be done next.” Additionally, I have seen how those with the ability to make changes simply don’t either because they do not see the need for the change or they lack the confidence to make a bold move, which could flop, or on the flip side, could benefit the company. A Masters of Business Administration will give me the knowledge and confidence to be proactive in the various roles I will have throughout my career.

I have been impressed by the Apple’s recent success. They are a prime example of having first mover’s advantage. Their competitors are reacting instead of being proactive to their success. Apple’s success is causing “creative deconstruction” to the rest of the PC industry with their “post PC” products. This is just one aspect of business that the rest of the business world is seeing come to light and I hope that getting an MBA will shed light on this and many other practices shared by successful companies that I do not currently know of.

I believe a MBA will make me a more productive employee, a wiser manager, and a more successful entrepreneur. I will always continue to educate myself but the structure and expertise of your MBA program will usher me to a higher level of business practices. This will ultimately allow me to have more to offer my employer, my family and my community.



No comments:

Post a Comment