Monday, November 5, 2018

Product Design Question


“Walk me through how you would design X product.”  This could be asked with, “Walk me through how you might design an alarm clock for someone who is blind.  Walk me through how you might design a better wallet.  Walk me through how you might design an elevator for handicapped individuals.”  

This is a question you could be asked by a client, internal or external, in your journey to bringing a new product to market and we will discuss how you’d answer it in a concise, but productive way.  What you’ll want to do is have a framework in mind.  The framework would be as follows.

  1. Ask clarifying questions, i.e. who might the wallet be used by? And what does better mean in the context of a wallet?
  2. Communicate your answer outline, i.e. “Now that I understand the scope of this project I’d like to layout how I’d approach the design of this project.”  
          a.  First I’m going to reiterate what my business goals are. i.e. revenue, adoption, better conversion, etc.
          b.  Second I’ll identify my customer base and their use cases.
          c.  Third I’m going to brainstorm some features and evaluate the features against the business goals listed.  
          d.  Lastly I’ll discuss tradeoffs and summarize my recommendation.  
  1. Identify the users and their use cases.  Could draw on whiteboard two columns.  Users on left hand side and use cases on right.  After listing the various users you’d ask which of the users the interviewer would like to focus on.  
  2. Identify gaps in their use cases or room for improvement.  Could create a third column to list these. 
  3. Brainstorm features and improvements.  Brainstorm solutions/features that address the gaps.  Ask the client if you’re on the right track or not. 
  4. Prioritize and identify trade-offs of each feature/improvement.  Could be revenue generating vs time and cost to develop it.  Or by customer satisfaction.  Walk through pros and cons of each feature/improvement so you show you’re thinking about all facets of product.  
  5. Summarize your recommendation.  

This is a brief, but effective way to quickly walk a client through how you’d design something for a product they need released to the market.


No comments:

Post a Comment