Thursday, September 27, 2018

Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care


So as I jump into a career pivot from developer to product owner, scrum master, project manager type roles and I’m interviewing and submitting resumes and a common task/assignment with the job is to interface with the customer (stakeholder for you scrum-ites) and take down their information/needs, formulate said needs into actionable bite sized pieces that can be done in a time boxes event of one month or less, and be in contact with the team performing the work to help where needed and update the client as needed.

As I interview though and ask what it takes to really excel at these jobs the common response more or less is to just jump in and get to know people, what their problems are, and show that you care and that is about it.  I don’t know if this is brought up because people just don’t do it or maybe we’re all just craving for someone to do that for and with us.  By the way I can and do totally do this for those who were wondering.  And because this is what it will take to be an outstanding product owner/manager I know that I’ll be quite good at this job.

As I run my business this is where camaraderie and growth among the team and with your clients happens.  It’s when you actually show them you care by asking how their dog is, family is, etc and then you actually follow up with that care whether that is through a text, call, email, or in person is where in my opinion real progress gets made.  The quote from Teddy Roosevelt, “Nobody cares how much you know until they know how much you care” applies in product owner management and any professional interpersonal relationship or personal relationship.  So yes learn all the latest agile and scrum and best practice techniques and certifications you can, sure.  But don’t let that get in the way of just being a good person and caring and helping when and where there is a need.



No comments:

Post a Comment