Friday, March 8, 2013

I was (am) a genius!


                If someone asked you if you were a genius what would you say?  What would I say?  First you’d probably laugh and then say that you weren’t.  Same goes for me.  Genius, legitimately calling someone that, is something we shy away from unless most others also say it is so.  That is sad.  I’m reading a book right now called Wishcraft and it is sad.  It is sad cause its definition is spot on and so simple and qualifies so many.  Who are some of the earliest geniuses that we all know?

Children. 

They come out of the womb knowing nothing, except how to eat and breath and sleep with nobody’s help.  Nobody teaches them anything.  They learn on their own.  They learn how to walk all by themselves although nobody sits there and says to them, “hey brock first you strengthen your legs so you can stand.  Then you lean forward and lift one leg and move it slightly forward all the while without losing your balance. Etc…”  Pretty amazing.  The author of this book then describes how kids are so excited that they just re-invent the English language for themselves to describe everything and yet we are the ones that are audacious enough to say that we have no idea what they’re saying or that they just saying craziness/gibberish.  I know I’ve said that.  Pretty sad that I’ve used my own bad behavior indoctrination of shaming and belittling genius on accident and without even realizing I’d been doing it.

As I continue reading this book the author talks about, and I knew where she was going before she even went there (cause I’m a genius J ), but she asked where our genius went.  She says that the ‘precious right to make choices based on your own wishes began to be taken away as soon as you were old enough to control yourself and sit still in school’.  She says that schools are not designed to learn from you; they are designed to teach you.  Screw the fact that at age 5 or 6 you are an artist, fort builder, model builder, train wizard, real estate junkie, plant-a-holic, dinosaur guru, dirt bike dude, stay at home wanna be a mom and play house, video game master, reader of all books of the universe librarian live in or whatever floated your boat back then.  Ugh…school…it bugs.  It squashes the genius inner child in all of us and it is done on purpose.  Check this quote out.  It’s from a Rockefeller who, along with other rich people, put more funding into the department of education in its formative/beginning years than did the government, which the government shouldn’t even be involved in the first place, but whatever.


Hmm…as I’m writing this post I’m thinking about how my wife and I aren’t going to teach our kids about santa claus.  Yes its true and so if you don’t want to ruin your kids upbringing as far as this tradition goes and what not by having your kids hanging with mine this is your fair warning to plan ahead as we don’t have kids just yet.  The reason I bring up santa is because we’re taught to believe in this fictious thing that doesn’t exist and if we go along the ride and façade and play by the rules we’ll be rewarded with presents.  Same goes with schooling.

We’re born with this inner genius and once we enter the school system with that genius we find out that the genius doesn’t mean jack squat, but instead that learning times tables or trigonometry or 1720’s American Indian tribal history/patterns or whatever else the freak you waste your 15-20 years studying is what is rewarded.  Oh you like dinosaurs, well that doesn’t apply here and so we’re learning about times tables.  I always remember thinking back to when I was a kid of 8 to early teen years, seriously, that when I was a kid I thought, why can’t I just go to work now?  I know simple math and grammar/English.  Do I need to know how that a proton weighs more than an electron or do I need to know about photosynthesis and plants when that doesn’t mean a dang thing to me or interests me at all?  Do I need to memorize and write out the periodic table if I’m granting lines of credit to customers to ship freight around the country cause that is what I do now?  No I don’t.  School in the traditional sense of the word bugs me.  It is constricting, crushing, small, inefficient, annoying, loud, political, uninspiring, and lame.  Oooo imagine if I had written that on my 2nd grade English test.  My teacher would’ve flipped out.

So why am I writing all this?  Mainly to just vent.  Also to tell the world I’m going to home school my kids.  I’m not going to teach them about santa.  I’m not going to tell them they look cute in the princess costume.  I’m not going to tell them they need to learn anything that isn’t gospel related.  I will teach my kids the gospel.  They will teach themselves the rest and my wife and I will be guides for the rest of what interests them.  President Henry B Eyring spoke of this in the priesthood session of the latest general conference when he said, “I have discovered a good test for identifying activities with the potential to make a great difference in a young person’s life.  It is that they suggest the activity out of an interest they feel has come to them as a gift from God.”
I’m just tired of thinking of myself when I read books like this one or videos like this one (insert ‘your indoctrination’).  I hate thinking that I’m going to perpetuate onto my kids the same crap Mr. Rockefeller and his cronies foisted on me and my family and countless others in this country.  Blind acceptance of the facts of life and what they deemed important as they saw fit.  I prefer to think of teaching the kids this way (insert article of family living in trailer traveling the country).

No comments:

Post a Comment