Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Why? Not what.

        I just watched a video that talks about how successful people/ideas take off when people focus on the ‘Why’ and not the ‘What’. One example the speaker used was Tivo. Tivo has the best technology still and their company name is used as a verb or a noun when referring to other competitor’s technologies, i.e. “I’m going to Tivo the football game on my Comcast DVR.” The problem with them is that they told people what they needed, instead of why they needed it. For this reason the company has since been flat in its growth.

        The same applies to leadership and life in general I guess and what I want to apply to my blog. People won’t follow you or believe you if tell them what, but why. When you tell them why you do things and why they should do things they in turn internalize what you’ve said and make it their own. He talked about how there are Innovators of things. Then there are early adopters. Then there are early majority, late majority, and finally laggards. Innovators make things, but for those things to really take flight you need the early adopters to take it and praise it, as they are the ones that lead to the rest of the group using the product/idea. If you target the rest of the group then it never takes flight. This is what I need to do in my personal and business life.

No comments:

Post a Comment