Thursday, January 30, 2014

Paradigm shifting things I’ve learned fairly recently part 3

I watched the film Ghandi with Sir Ben Kingsley.  It portrays Ghandi amazing.

If you’ve ever had your paradigm shifted you know that before it shifted you were ignorant.  Once shifted you may be angry that you were ignorant, then you may try and share what you learned with others, and unfortunately many people may not give a rats behind as to what you have to say, and when that happens you may get depressed.  What one would hope to happen if that happens is that someone in that situation would make the final step and realize they’re the only they can change/worry about and it isn’t their duty to force a shift in another’s paradigm.  Certainly one would help with the shift if there were curiosity or a desire to do so from another individual.  Hence why missionaries go out, schools exist, and life/business coaches exist. 

So I feel like things in the world are crazy.  News flash I know lol.  In the midst of the craziness and becoming aware of certain parts of the crazy I eventually came to the above realization, i.e. that I can only change myself.  Some advocate for that, but also think that retaliation/violence is a way to accomplish that.  My conclusion is that may only exacerbate the problem and extend the current paradigm’s way of doing things.  This led me to Ghandi and doing things a different way in the face of craziness/oppression. 

So I gobbled up the movie Ghandi.  Reason being is that I had been taught/told/portrayed to that he was a very strong proponent of civil disobedience, non-violence, and equality for all.  Then I listened to a show that discussed some of the not so known history of Ghandi. 

For starters the government of India actually funded a large portion of the production of Ghandi and of course the string that was attached to that was that he only be painted in a very positive light.  Turns out dude was crazy racist towards blacks and the very low class of Indians.  He was married at a very young age.  At that time he was caring for his father.  One time when being intimate with his wife he came back to find his father had died and apparently blamed himself for that for years and years and his intimacy with the wife either almost died off completely or was gone.  What wasn’t shown/portrayed at all about the guy is that he thought he needed to prove his strength for resisting sex after this incident by sleeping naked with people, family and very young girls included when he was really old, and he’d ask them to massage him and his goal was to not get aroused.  Turns out this so disgusted some of his inner circle that they left him.

Shortly after learning about this I also learned about Nelson Mandela and some of his craziness.  As disclosure I didn’t really look up to Nelson.  What I will say though for Nelson and Ghandi is that they’re both figures that are pedaled out to us as these great guys that we should look up to and admire and follow.  When I learned the other side of these guy’s lives, including the life of MLK, I realized that anything popular these days probably isn’t what it is all cracked up to be.  Which is kinda crazy to think about considering I’ve spent the past two or three years learning about things that aren’t really what they seemed and yet I seemed to gobble up Ghandi.  Well unfortunately I’m not really gonna let that happen.  I will continue to listen to all and follow none and try and take the good from the bad.


Thank goodness for the perfect example.

No comments:

Post a Comment